Friday, September 14, 2007

Birthday Weekend!


Last Friday was my 26th birthday. The build up to September 7th was mind blowing. I was confused by many stories from Kari and JMob. I thought there was going to be a huge party. Than I thought it was a costume party of some sorts. All the while, I had no clue what the plans were. I knew that I was getting to sleep in till 10:30am Friday morning, and that I had to be back at our apartment by 12:30pm, cause Kari said so! Stan came over to ride around and hangout with JMob and I, or I thought. The guys and I sat around and Kari left to go "shopping," but before she left, she handed me a note. Inside was a hand written clue that said, "Bills pile up here." The scavenger hunt had begun. My first thought was our mail stack. I searched through the mail, but didn't find anything. I asked Stan and JMob, "Where do bills pile up," they replied, "We can't help you man!" My next thought was the mailbox. I walked across the complex to the mail box and found a shinny card in the box. On it was the next clue, "Where they sell the best sweet tea" and a hint, "Eat more chicken." I knew we were headed to Chick-fil-A. I went back and got JMob and Stan and we hit the road. Thinking to myself, I wondered what was under the silver paper and so I opened up the wrapping to find a $26.00 gift card to Barnes and Noble. We arrived at Chick-fil-A and JMob received a phone call, so Stan and I went inside to get some sweet tea and my next clue. While we were inside, unaware of what was going on outside, Kari passed JMob a Superman birthday ribbon for me to wear. I didn't even see her drive by! I told the lady at Chick-fil-A that I was Jeremy H. and she told me to hang on. As Stan was ordering another lady overheard and said, "Oh, his wife already paid for a large sweet tea for him." After they gave me the tea, I was handed a silver box. The manager said, "Open it." I took the encouragement and opened the gift, it was Spanish flash cards. The manager said, "When your done with those, bring 'em back so some of my staff can learn Spanish." We left laughing. The next clue led me to Barnes and Noble. We drove across the highway to the bookstore and once I walked in the lady noticed my ribbon and said, "Your they guy..." And I told her my name, and she handed me another gift/clue. I got in the car, read the clue and unwrapped the collected Sunday comics of Superman 1939-1943. The next clue led me to Kreutz Market in Lockhart, TX. Kari called me and said I still had to be back by 12:30pm. Obvious to some, but I wasn't sure what was going on, but I would try to meet the deadline. We headed to Lockhart. As we walked up to the restaurant, I saw a Superman balloon in the front room. We walked inside and I caught Kari and Randman buying pickles and cheese. We enjoyed a wonderful birthday lunch and that concluded my birthday scavenger hunt. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and time hanging out with my wife and JMob. Later that evening, we went to Stan and Windy's for dinner, cake, and out to a movie. We went and saw I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, with Adam Sandler and Kevin James. We laughed almost the entire movie.

Sat.: JMob got up and left for College Station for the game against Fresno State, but Kari and I slept the morning away. We headed to Bastrop for a family birthday celebration. Some of my family was out of pocket, due to a death in the family and college, but we still had a great meal, time of fellowship and just watched some good football. My mother and Kari went in together to get me a MAJOR gift. I did not get to open the MAJOR gift, until my mom was present, so we did that at my grandparents house. Also, my mother in law, Ruth and sister in law, Shelbi came to enjoy to family celebration. My mom and Kari got me and XBox 360 Elite. I was completely surprised. What an amazing gift from them. Ruth had gotten me a few games to compliment the new gaming system I just got. Shelbi got me a Star Wars calendar and a really sweet card from "my favorite sister in law." It was a wonderful time.

Sunday: It seems like we celebrated my birthday all weekend and we basically did. Ruth and Shelbi stayed the night with us and Shelbi and I played baseball on my new 360. That morning I went to church and met up with the ladies for lunch at Red Lobster. Kari came down with a cold Saturday evening, but there was one more birthday present was looming. JMob bought me Mat Kearney tickets at La Zona Rosa. That afternoon was spent resting and playing XBox, getting ready for the concert that evening. For a few minutes, I wasn't sure if Kari was going to make it to the show or not, but she mustered the strength. We grabbed some good eats from Potbelly and headed to the show. Wild Sweet Orange opened for Kearney, and that rocked! They were very Euro, but were slammin'. Mat delighted the audience with his smooth beats and rockin' tunes. It was a wonderful conclusion to my Birthday Weekend. I hope that everyone had a great week. God Bless.

No comments: