Friday, October 31, 2008

This is an Old Picture, but I Did It

I did a little research (cause I don’t believe everything on the Internet or e mail, like some) and found out that this picture is true (there is video footage). Obama explains this by saying sometimes during the National Anthem he puts his hand over his heart and sometimes he doesn’t. I wasn’t going to write this blog, but with a little encouragement, I decided to put it out there.

I myself used to stand in respect to the flag during the National Anthem similar to Obama. I logically justified not putting my hand on by heart by saying, “It’s not a pledge of allegiance, so I don’t have to put my hand on my heart during the song.” I was never called out on it until last fall by my mother in law. She said, “You’re supposed to put your hand over your heart.” I explained to her my logic and proceeded to NOT put my hand over my heart during the National Anthem.

After some thought, I decided to research the “law” or “code” that governed the “putting you right hand over you heart” law I had heard so much about and prove everyone wrong. The research led me to the following code:

United States Code Section 36 USC 301
(also here)
“(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;”
It is US Code that we do this. I was completely wrong! After reviewing this and determining it was a real code, I no longer stand at respect during the National Anthem without putting my hand over my heart.

Our nation and its people should respect all the laws of the land and it seems Obama believes this is an optional code he doesn't have to follow. What do you think?

2 comments:

Velma said...

Ya its code, but really??? Its a little petty to make a big fuss because he doesn't have his hand over his heart. At least he isn't flipping the crowd off or looking down while the athem is playing.
At least his standing is being respectful in a way.

I'm the kind of girl that if you tell me its code and you have to do it then its going to make me not want to do it =) I'm a little rebel like that!

Cassie said...

Here's the thing for me. If you don't know about a rule and you break it, that's one thing. But to know a rule or code and deliberately not follow it is something else entirely. When I was in seminary that had a strict policy (rule, code, whatever...) that you could not wear shorts (of any kind) to class. (Obviously, or maybe not, you could wear shorts at the rec center.) Now, I thought that this was a really stupid rule. Especially in the middle of the summer during summer school. I saw plenty of people intentionally break the rule because they disagreed with it. Now, there were many days that I would love to have worn shorts, but I signed up to go to school there...I could have gone to another school with a different dress code (well, maybe not since God sent me) BUT by electing to attend that school I put myself under it's authority thus I obeyed its (ridiculous) dress code.

It seems to me that (at the very least) the people who choose to represent our country should follow its codes and laws (and change behavior if they learn of a rule they had not followed). No one is forced to represent this country. It is an honor and a responsibility. This should apply to things as seemingly minor as showing respect to the flag to the much more serious laws. Do I think that something like this should determine a person's vote? Not really, only that it should be weighed against their own beliefs (as should everything that one learns about each candidate).

Just my 2 cents...or maybe it was 4 - that was kind of long :)