Saturday, September 11, 2010

Insert Title Here Remembers 9.11.01

Today is the 9th anniversary of the September 11, 2001; a date that many of my generation will never forget, similar to many who have gone before us never forgot Pearl Harbor, D-Day, or the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

One day I will have the opportunity to explain to my boys what happened on that morning when over 3,000 Americans lost their lives in New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

How do I remember it?

I was sitting in my car in line at the Austin Community College parking lot waiting, listening to a CD instead of Sam & Bob on KVET. I looked up to see my high school friend, Jeff M., wanting to jump in the car. He said, "Are you listening to the radio? The twin towers have been hit and there are several other missing planes." School and work was cancelled that day and I remember watching the news as each new report came out. I think everyone was glued to the TV.

Later that year, I had the opportunity to go to NYC and still remember seeing smoldering at Ground Zero. All the letters, flowers and pictures near Trinity Church at Wall Street was sobering. It was a scene of wreckage, memory and city all smashed together in the heart of Manhattan; images that will not leave my mind.

I continue to pray for those family members who have lost loved ones; the Lord only knows are when it is our time, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father," until that time we are encouraged to, "press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me" (Matt. 24:36, Phil. 3:12).

May we never forget those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 and continue to tell the story. God Bless.

No comments: