Monday, November 01, 2010

Things God Has Been Teaching Me

I have been chewing on a few passages of scripture lately and I feel led to share what God is teaching me.  I pray that anyone who reads, take it as encouragement, because that is the intent.

In an society where using words like honor is fading, Exodus 20:12 tells us we should, "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

What does that mean to adult child? It means we honor our father and mother in their decisions, even if we disagree with them (not saying you have to agree, but acceptance is what I am talking about). Consider our lifespan, I potentially have 30 years left to spend with my parents. I don't have time to waste on being mad, angry, offended or whatever other selfish feeling you can think of towards my parents, there is just not enough time.

I can't imagine one day Landon or Logan choosing not to speak to me.  Could it happen, yes, I would be broken hearted to tears.  I can't repay my parents in such a way, I love them too much.

In keeping with this commandment, God is going to bless you.

Lamentations 3:38-41 says, "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come? Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins? Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD. Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven..." 

God is in control of everything.  Good or bad, God is on His throne and His ways are higher than we can fathom.

We have no right to complain.  I have been challenged to examine my ways and return to the Lord in many areas of my life.  When return to the Lord, there is blessing.  Are you missing out on blessing today?  We are encouraged to lift up our hearts and hands to God; what an amazing picture of submission to our Lord.

I heard in a sermon recently the pastor reference Genesis 16:9-10, "Then the angel of the LORD told her, "Go back to your mistress and submit to her."  The angel added, "I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count."

God is talking to Hagar, Sarai's Egyptian maidservant, after she found out she was pregnant with Abram's son.  God is telling us to go back, submit and He will bless us.  It is so easy to run away, but God is directing us to go back, deal with it, forgive and forget, insert your cliche, but go back and submit.

God wants to bless you and I, we just need to listen to His words.  God will bless us if we follow and obey His instructions.  Didn't God bless Hagar?  Or course he did; it is believed that Ishmael is the father of the Arabs.

One final passage of scripture that God has shown me recently is, Matthew 7:12.  "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." 

God is going to bless us kindly.  The illustration my friend uses is as follows:  We ask God for a moldy strawberry and He says, "No, you don't want that, here take this fresh strawberry."  Would you give your child a moldy strawberry, by no means.  God wants the best for us.  He wants us to receive blessing and in order to receive it we have to look at verse 12:

"...do to others what you would have them do to you..."

We are called to love one another and treat others as we want to be treated.  I don't want to be treated with disrespect and neither do you.  How do we want to be treated in our mistakes?  We want to be let off the hook.  God wants the best for us; not mediocre. We should treat one another with love; unconditional love and even if it is not returned to us, love them anyway.

Jesus says, "...the greatest commandment in the Law [is] 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself'" (Matthew 22:36-38).

I pray that I continue to dive into God's word and glean from it what He'd have me learn. God Bless.

No comments: