Friday, November 05, 2010

Thoughts on Luke 18: Part Three

"People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Luke 18:15-17
This is the third part of six I will be writing and posting. Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts as well.

Do you have a childlike faith?  Can we have this type of trust in the Lord?  Christ calls you and I to have this type of faith!  Anyone who doesn't, Christ says, will never enter the kingdom of God.  Today this passage is more real to me than it has ever been.

Recently Landon took interest in my bible sitting on my nightstand.  Frankly, he is interested in anything on my nightstand, but is currently fascinated with books.  My first instinct was to snatch it from his hands and tell him no, but than I remembered this passage.  I stopped myself before I could react and instead said, "Landon, there is a story in here for you.  Let me show you."  I read aloud Luke 18:15-17 and told him that I desired to have childlike faith as he does.

When I arrive home from work, Landon runs down the hall to greet me by jumping into my arms.  He knows and trusts I will catch and pick him up.  This picture is a type of faith Christ wants us to have in Him.  Babies trust we will take care of them, nurture them, love them and wipe their bottoms.

Christ wants us to run, headlong, after Him.  Are you running headlong after Christ?

I love the first part of the passage as well.  Jesus wasn't afraid to make friends, even with the youngest.  The disciples thought maybe Jesus was to busy or didn't have time for the children, but Jesus rebuked them.  Jesus desires for us to be friends with people of all kinds; as the song now goes red, yellow, brown, black and white and age shouldn't be a factor.  Jesus wants us to love everyone of all kinds.

Christ followers:  put a smile on your face.  Say hello to a child.  Love your neighbor.  And run after Christ, jump into His arms and bask in His freedom.

God Bless.

No comments: