Thursday, September 01, 2011

Have You Been Cursing God?

In the book of Job we find a man who loses everything, but his life (some may contend that he did lose his life). Either way Job had it pretty bad. He had the worst Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. He questions God and is encouraged to cruse God and die until the Lord gives Him some thought provoking words starting in chapter 38. The section I have chosen is Job 38:4-7: "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

God is in charge of everything; He is creator over all. What have a created today or what have I screwed up today, might be a better question? God didn't mess up, He designed it all according to His plan and I don't have an ounce of that kind of power.

What is Job's response after being reminded of who's in charge and what should our response be, "...Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know...therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42:3b & 6

Repent. Repent and return to Him. Sometimes we just need to be reminded to repent and return to the Lord. Job's example is one of many you will find in scripture concerning repentance. God wants you and I to be in communion with Him; allowing Him to be in control, not us.

What happens after Job repents?

"And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before." Job 42:10

God restores Job. When we see the error of our attitudes, issues, control problems or maybe we realize you've been putting God in a box; in other words you're living in the flesh instead of with Him, you and I repent. Restoration comes after repentance. How exciting. God restores you and I and blesses us.

Blessings might sound like fancy cars and diamond rings, but I disagree. Blessings can be a number of things including: sharing your story with someone who is seeking, cleaning a toilet (or 313), being let into busy traffic by someone, receiving an encouraging note...the list goes on and on. Are fancy cars and diamond rings not blessings? They could be, but really it's a heart matter. Christ tells us, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Back to Job. Realize. Repent. Restoration. God is so amazing, mysterious and loving. Stop cursing Him and return to Him.

God bless.

No comments: