Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Man and a Baseball

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Last Saturday, Landon found one of my collectible baseballs still in the plastic. This Houston Astros baseball was white with the old logo, but no signature. I thought I might put it on the shelf one day, you know, to look at. Landon said, "Dad, I want to play with this white baseball." I sternly replied, "No!"

Kari sometimes reminds me that the Holy Spirit can speak through her to me. Well on that day she said, "Jeremy, what are you going to do, put it on a shelf to let it collect dust. Go outside and play."

Considering Deuteronomy 28:1, I thought to myself, this is an opportunity to obey. I know it might seem simple or petty to some, but this baseball held me captive to a thought: maybe, just maybe I was going to do something with this baseball and it was more important than enjoying life. What might happen: I break my son's heart and take away an opportunity to play in the backyard and introduce him to a game I enjoy.

I quote I Corinthians 10:31 because I believe that this was a moment to give God the glory. Instead of putting that baseball on the shelf I got to spend time in the backyard with my son throwing, catching, laughing, and enjoying life. Thanks to Him, the giver of life!

It quickly could've turned into a missed opportunity to play baseball with my son. If I would've stuck to my guns and been bullheaded about putting the ball on the shelf, I believe I might have denied God the glory.

The Scripture says, "in whatever you do..." My initial thoughts in response to Landon we're not glorifying to God. I will not be taking that baseball to heaven with me or any other item that I might put on my shelf. I realized that I need to go outside and play baseball with this ball and treasure the moment God has given!

Are you holding onto something and not living life, denying God the glory? Take it off the shelf, dust it off, toss it around some and put some dirt on it.

Life is meant to be lived; in that recognize where it derives from and give Him all the glory...even if its just a baseball!

God bless.

No comments: