Thursday, February 08, 2007

Family and Love

Kari and I had our first wedding shower. I attended for several reasons, one, it was my family, two, my mother was in town. It was a delightful afternoon filled with great food, fellowship and laughter. We were blessed by some wonderful gifts that we are both grateful for. Upon reflecting about the weekend, it was amazing to see a family can come together. I have never felt abandoned or unloved, but I often feel there is a certain tension in my family. This tension was dissolved this past weekend. A few close family memebers were unable to make it, but I could have called roll and over 90% of my immediate family was present. My brother and his wife, Aaron and Katie hosted the shower at their home and served BBQ. We spent the afternoon just hanging out and catching up with one another. As defined by the Oxford English Dictionary a family is,
"The group of persons consisting of the parents and their children, whether actually living together or not; in wider sense, the unity formed by those who are nearly connected by blood..."
All these qualifications were met. My grandparents, mother, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, and Kari's mother and sister all came to show their love and support. Each of these people took time out of there day, first, to think about us by purschasing something for us and then traveling to another place in order to have the celebration. We were truely surround by love. I consider these qualities and reflect on my own life. Jesus said,
"'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'
First, we come to a relationship with Christ and he showers his love upon us. We make Christ number one and we give Him all the glory and love humanly possible. Then, the Word of God says we love one another. This love that flows from Christ, in us and through us should be reflected among our communities, worldly and even to the next door neighbor. Often times I am guilty of not caring or loving someone that might have needed a simple "hello!" or smile. This event encouraged me to live and love better. Love everyone around you. We are going to fight, disagree, and have tons of opinions, but at the end of the day we are called to love. I encourage you to delight in the Lord Almighty today, give Him praise, and live in such a way that you reflect Christ. God Bless.

No comments: