Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Weekend in P'ville


Last weekend I was in Pflugerville, TX for a Disciple Now (DNow). I had previous volunteered to help with the sound with Stanley and JMob, but Tom had other plans. The youth minister, Tom, asked me to be the Seniors co-leader. The weekend began with a chicken sandwich from Dariy Queen where I got to know some of the other leaders. The theme of the weekend was Consumed, from Romans 12:1-2. I watched the students on Friday night being led in worship by The Justin Cofield Band, half heartedly singing along with the words on the screen. At that point, they did not seem too "consumed" to me; either that or they were tired. We listened to Pat Cammarata speak and then we were dismissed to our homes. A wonderful family, the Richter's, opened there home at the last minute because the original host family became ill. We began the evening of study and jumped head first into Romans 12:1-2 with other supporting scriptures. We talked about relevant ideas and the effects our lives have on those around us and what it meant to be a living sacrific.
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
On Saturday, we did some more studying and then did a scavenger hunt themed after the show Dog the Bounty Hunter. I saw my life flash before my eyes at least eight times during the hunt, due to crazy driving (and not on my part). It was good fun and a quick way to see all of Pfulgerville. We had dinner and went to Starbucks. The Seniors went to worship that night with different hearts and attitudes. I can't speak for any of them, but there was a noticeable difference in each of them after that evening. New friendships were formed, many received God's forgiveness, let go of guilt, and many drew near to God this weekend. It was a wonderful evening of worship. I was blessed by the Seniors from First Baptist Pflugerville this weekend and was glad to service in such a way. God Bless to you.

No comments: