Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Green Go, Yellow Speed Up; Red, Smile for the Camera

It is not a new concept, but we are seeing the cameras pop up all around Austin and I don’t think we have seen the last of them (because they keep adding them!).

Personally, the jury is still out on the red light cameras. I am for saving lives, following the law and preventing accidents (which is a major reason why they are there), but the idea of being “watched” is annoying. Video/photo evidence is pretty solid; I mean you should be following the law anyway, right? I am leaning to pro-cameras, but the police state idea creeps in my head again and I don’t know what to think.

The City of Hutto has installed similar cameras and recently I caught the flash of one in my eyes. Not because I was running a red light, but someone else did and I was blinded. I am not kidding. Kari and I were driving Hwy 79 one evening, the flash bulb went off and we both exclaimed, “What was that!” Tell me, how is that safe? Maybe I like the idea, but think that there needs to be some work done on it to improve the technology, because being blinded by a flash can’t be good for our safety. Comments?

Oh ya, don’t forget to vote. Have a great day.

No comments: