Saturday, January 17, 2009

What Will the Judge Say?

A few days ago my father-in-law called and said, “We got a picture of your car (talking to Kari) in the mail from the City of Hutto.” That’s right, I ran a red light and they snapped a photo of it. Obviously I am guilty of running the red light, but why did I run the red light?

Scene of the Crime: I am cruising through the town of Hutto on highway 79 going the appropriate speed limit, 50 or 55 (really Mom, I wasn’t speeding). Kari is in the passenger seat half asleep and Carter is in his pet taxi in the back of the vehicle. It is dark outside, approximately 9 or 10pm and traffic flow is light. At about 50 yards before the intersection, the light turns yellow.

Here the Dilemma: I know the red light cameras are there (protecting and serving). I start to slow down, but realize that it will not be enough to have the vehicle completely stopped before I get to the intersection. Maybe, I could have slammed on my brakes and stopped in time, but I decided not to slam on my brakes for fear of hurting my passengers. I mashed the accelerator down to the floor in hopes of getting through before the camera flashed.

Did I run the red light? Yes. Do I think it warrants a ticket? No.

What will the judge say? Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

Velma said...

funny that it went to the in-laws... ha ha...