Thursday, February 19, 2009

Breaking News: It’s a Boy!

As most of you know already, Kari and I have announced we are having a boy. Thanks to Insert Title Here and Facebook, the information is easily disseminated. Here is a peek at what happened yesterday:

Wednesday morning Kari and I slept till about ten and Kari was craving a sausage kolache. We went to the one place we know that makes great kolaches, Donut Palace in Pflugerville. With time to spare, we ate breakfast and also planned a trip to say hello to our friend Herb.

At about one o’clock we headed to the hospital. Kari drank the required 20 plus ounces and we arrived before our 1:30pm appointment. At about 2:30pm and two restroom breaks later, we finally saw the ultrasound tech. There my wife confessed she could not hold it and had emptied her bladder. The tech was very forgiving and even said, “Don’t worry; it will fill back up by the time this is over.”

We were in the room for about an hour. We saw almost all of Baby’s growing body. The images I enjoy the most are shots of the bones and than seeing the skin forming around the bone. The details on these ultrasounds are amazing (although the attached prints aren’t that great). The weaving of life in my wife’s tummy is very awesome.

Our baby boy is 11 ounces (don’t ask me how they know that) and a few days older than what was speculated. This will not change the current due date of July 20th. His heart beat ranged from 150 to 160 beats per minute. We counted the four chambers of the heart, 10 little toes and 10 little fingers.

He moved the entire time. At one point he was opening and closing his mouth. He was doing flips, kicking and raising his arms up and down. The ultrasound tech even had trouble getting a few shots he was moving so much.

The ultrasound appointment was completed and we headed to the monthly checkup. Our doctor was out yesterday so we met Dr. Campbell. She talked to us briefly and checked baby’s heartbeat and we were out the door.

At this point it was already 5pm. With plans to meet my Dad and Donna at Patsy’s Cowgirl Café we headed south. We arrived in south Austin and headed to Target for some baby registering. Kari and I spent about 45 minutes shooting various items from pacifiers to strollers.

At about 7:00pm we arrived at Patsy’s Cowgirl Café to meet my Dad and Donna. They greeted us with gift for our baby boy, an Amarillo Gorillas hockey T-shirt. We enjoyed the conversation, dinner and a show with them and headed home about 9:00pm (Patsy’s Cowgirl Café review to come). By the time we got home, we were beat. I quickly posted the below and went to bed.

Thanks for all your prayers and support. God Bless.

No comments: