Thursday, April 07, 2011

Applying Free Market Principles to Ministry?

A free market is a market in which there is no economic intervention and regulation by the state.
These are some thoughts concerning the free market concept and what it would look like if we applied it to our lives and our ministries. I am not sure why God has laid this on my heart, but here's some thoughts.

You are serving the Lord through volunteering, pastoring a church or insert your type of service here, but it fails. Why did God allow you to fail? I think it is to make you grow better and stronger.

I serve as a Public Relations director.  I am responsible for the camp video, photos, lights, sound and the video media (I think that's it). If I do not manage my team correctly and put them in the places they need to be at the times they need to be there, we will not have a camp video. This can be applied to any ministry, team, church or whatever.  If I do not produce, or my team does not produce a camp video, than I have failed.  At this point, someone would step in, re-structure, evaluate and hopefully I will learn and grow from the failure.

Purpose. The idea of a free market allows for failure (unless you get a bailout, which I will talk about). In that failure, you can take what you learned and improve upon what you had to make your business better.

Bailouts. Bailout, government run business or enabling does not allow for growth or learning. If I run my business and am constantly getting help from the government (ie. outside sourse) how am I becoming a better business?

Spiritual application. God wants you and I to spread His name to all the earth and give Him glory. If we rely on others to get us through all the time, we are:
  • a. Not relying on God.
  • b. Never in a postion to be on our own (dependency).
  • c. Become stagnat in your journey with others and Christ.
Am I trying to tell you God endorses free markets? No. I am only trying to compare a very familiar idea and apply to our lives in ministry.

Thoughts?  I'd love to hear some feedback and your thoughts.

God Bless.

Jeremy

No comments: