Monday, August 06, 2012

Where's Your Mind?

the mind: 1) the mind as a faculty of understanding, feeling, desiring 2) understanding 3) mind, i.e. spirit, way of thinking and feeling 4) thoughts, either good or bad

"And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God...with all your mind..." Luke 10:27 (edited for focus)

God has been teaching me about the importance of "getting your mind right!" Jesus is quoted above, concerning the greatest command, which also includes four other parts. What if we loved the Lord our God with all our minds?

We allow so much garbage into our minds; a comprehensive list might take days. I thought of a few things that may consume our minds: what I think about myself, what I think about others, what I think others are thinking about me, deciding to cave under peer pressure, music tunes and lyrics, images from print to web, the latest movie star, boy band, TV show, Justin Bieber, magazine advertisements, philosophies, politics, sports, facebook, twitter and more and more clutter.

And this is only a small list. Consider all the things you put into your mind.

"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:13

We must prepare our minds. Prior to this passage in 6 and 7 we are encouraged to, ..."walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith..." If He is in us, than we need to become like Him. If I am cluttering my mind with just this short list, how can I walk in Him, or become rooted. If my faith is not established in Him, where is my faith?

Jesus wants to reveal Himself to you and I and this passage is clear, our minds must be on Him in order for this to happen.

"See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:8

Concerning thoughts of the day, the encouragement continues, "...no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit..." It is easy to jump on the latest moral philosophy bandwagon and seem to Christianize or think it is Christ-like, but more often then not we can get caught up in something that is not in Him.

The world is out to deceive. John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy..." We must be on guard and weigh everything that enters our minds against scripture.

Where's your mind?

God bless.

No comments: